Tuesday, June 24, 2008

R.I.P. George Carlin

Shit! Piss! Cunt! Fuck! Cocksucker! Motherfucker! Tits!




Dr. Murray Yaegar
who taught my freshman communications seminar at Boston University introduced me to this brilliant routine when he played it in class one morning. I've never witnessed such howling peals of laughter in a college classroom since then. What Dr. Yaegar was really getting at, though, was the fact that George Carlin was the pioneer in pointing out the hypocrisy that our media and government propagate, when the people who've banned (and continue to uphold the ban on) these words most likely use them just like the rest of us.

If Al Swearengen is any indication, however, we're making progress. I wouldn't be surprised if Deadwood was George's favorite show. Watch the Swear Engine et al at their finest. Funny stuff.

No comments: