Friday, July 11, 2008

Big hearts in Big Sur

(Robert Durell / Los Angeles Times)

I love Big Sur. Its vibe is so good, so pure and spiritual that it's hard not to feel a connection to the land there. The people are welcoming. Esalen, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, Nepenthe, these places are nothing short of magical. And that view from the cliffs as you wind along the PCH high above the ocean! It's other-wordly. When I lived in L.A. it was my special place to go, and although I haven't been back to Big Sur for seven years now, it saddens me terribly that it has burned.

I've been keeping up with the status of the wildfires through an impressive blog called SurFire2008.org and found the most beautiful thing amidst all the tragedy. On a page called Housing Offers is a plethora of good will. As of this writing, there are over 90 postings from people offering accomodations to evacuees, firefighters, and pets. Everything from "horse corral - shady" to offers to "crash on my pull-out sofa" to "two homes with lots of bedrooms" to a "nice ocean view for your peace of mind."

Humanity at its finest. May it rain for them soon.

No comments: