Friday, January 23, 2009

View the Inauguration with a "Fullscreen Gigapan Viewer"




A photographer named David Bergman took a 1,474 megapixel picture of Obama's inauguration. I have never seen anything like this. You can zoom and zoom and keep zooming in to bizzarely close details. I've been examining the photo for twenty minutes, playing "Where's Waldo" with the politicos -- "There's Rollerdevil Cheney! My, Bush looks pissed. There's pre-seizure Teddy! Look at Hillary giving Bill a look! There's Aretha in her giant bow hat! Is Clarence Thomas sleeping?"



Hey there's not much to do on a frigid January night in the boonies on Cape Cod, and this is pretty entertaining.

Learn how Bergman made this impressive image here at his website. Here's an excerpt:

I made a panoramic image showing the nearly two million people who watched President Obama’s inaugural address. To do so, I clamped a Gigapan Imager to the railing on the north media platform about six feet from my photo position. The Gigapan is a robotic camera mount that allows me to take multiple images and stitch them together, creating a massive image file.

My final photo is made up of 220 Canon G10 images and the file is 59,783 X 24,658 pixels or 1,474 megapixels. It took more than six and a half hours for the Gigapan software to put together all of the images on my Macbook Pro and the completed TIF file is almost 2 gigabytes.

No comments: